We could all use a bit of magic in our lives, and Harry Potter is always there to provide it. Take a look at these 27 Harry Potter quotes if you want to rediscover your magical self.
It’s not an exaggeration to say Harry Potter marked an entire generation. Ever since the first book came out in 1997, J.K. Rowling’s magical universe has captivated the hearts and imagination of millions of people worldwide, children and adults alike. And the world has shown its love. Harry Potter is the best-selling book series in history, with over 500 million copies sold across the planet, and has been translated into eighty languages. The movies have also done well, I think. They must have, you know, being the third highest-grossing film series and all.
So, yeah. There’s no shortage of admiration and success for the little wizard with the weird scar. One of the things that’s made the franchise so popular is its ability to connect with its audience, and that’s where Rowling’s writing shines. Sure, it’s not the most elegant prose, and its story may not be the best one ever told. But the imaginative world and endearing words of wisdom can’t fail to capture our hearts. So, without further ado, here are 27 Harry Potter quotes that will make you rediscover your magical self.
Dumbledore is by far the most prolific generator of inspiring phrases in the Harry Potter universe. That’s his role, I guess. Having a long, white beard in a fantasy world does that, doesn’t it?
1. “There are all kinds of courage,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” —The Philosopher’s Stone
2. "After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure.” —The Philosopher’s Stone
3. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” —The Philosopher’s Stone
4. "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Chamber of Secrets
5. "Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it." —The Goblet of Fire
6. "It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." —The Goblet of Fire
7. "Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." —The Philosopher’s Stone
8. "Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both influencing injury, and remedying it." —The Deathly Hallows
9. "People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." —The Half-Blood Prince
10. "We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." —The Goblet of Fire
11. "Ah, music! A magic beyond all we do here!” —The Philosopher’s Stone
12. "Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." —The Goblet of Fire
13. "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" —The Deathly Hallows
14. "Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young." —The Order of the Phoenix
15. "And now, Harry, let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." —The Half-Blood Prince
Perhaps not as wise as Dumbledore, but just as lovable. Hagrid is many’s favorite character in the franchise, and for good reason: he’s such a gentle giant.
16. "No good sittin' worryin' abou' it. What's comin' will come, an' we'll meet it when it does." —The Goblet of Fire
17. “I am what I am an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothern’ with.’” —The Goblet of Fire
18. "Yer a wizard Harry."―The Philosopher’s Stone
I’ve always felt we never really got enough Sirius Black. A sad matter indeed.
19. "If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." —The Goblet of Fire
20. "We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are." ―The Order of the Phoenix
In my mind, Hermione was at her best when she went full-on nerd. She’s a know-it-all, sure, but also a great friend.
21. "I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed — or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed."―The Philosopher’s Stone
22. "Honestly, am I the only person who's ever bother to read Hogwarts: A History?" —The Prisoner of Azkaban
23. "I mean, it's sort of exciting, isn't it, breaking the rules?" —The Order of the Phoenix
Oh, the Weasley brothers. What’s not to like?
24. "I think we've outgrown full-time education ... Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?" —The Order of the Phoenix
Queen of awkwardness, her deeply hidden wisdom was actually refreshing.
25. "Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect." ―The Order of the Phoenix.
26. "I think I'll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up — it always does in the end." ―The Order of the Phoenix
27. "'After all this time?' 'Always,' said Snape." ―The Deathly Hallows
Did we miss any of your favorite Harry Potter quotes? Let us know in the comments.
Your voice matters!
Are you a Harry Potter expert? Do you want to be heard? Read our submissions guidelines and send us a 500-word article to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to share your thoughts with the rest of the world!
Don't miss these other articles!
20 Quotes From "Eternal Sunshine" That Probably Apply To You Right Now
10 Movie Universes You Wouldn't Mind Living In At Least Once
"I Have A Dream:" Ten Quotes From The Most Celebrated Speech From The Last Century