It has been six years since the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, the last film in the saga so far starring Johnny Depp. Despite not being one of the best-rated by fans of Captain Jack Sparrow, many are waiting for news about a sixth installment that continues the adventures of the famous pirate. And now that a source close to the actor has told People magazine that he would be willing to work again with Disney, hopes have grown again.
According to People magazine in this week’s issue, according to a source very close to the 60-year-old actor, Johnny would be willing to return to the character, even after feeling betrayed by the multi-million dollar franchise’s production company. “Anything is possible,” he assured and later added: “If the project is the right one, he’ll do it.”
Although the insider is not 100 percent sure that Depp will return for another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, last June, on Monday, June 5 to be precise, The New York Times also noted that Disney was beginning to be open to collaborating with him again.
Johnny Depp, Just over a Year after a Stormy Trial
These rumors and the hope of his possible return to Captain Jack Sparrow’s clothes come a little more than a year after the end of the defamation trial that pitted Depp against his ex-wife Amber Heard, 37. Following a verdict by a seven-person jury that heavily favored him, even though Heard won one of her three counterclaims, Johnny said of that “horrible period” in his life during the Cannes Film Festival: “I didn’t go anywhere.”
Hopes of Returning to Work with Disney Dashed
Even though after the actor’s triumph many of his fans had hopes that he would return practically immediately to the Pirates of the Caribbean saga, these were quickly dashed when Depp’s representative denied in People, in June last year, that the supposed leak that he would return to the franchise for the Pirates of the Caribbean saga. These quickly collapsed when Depp’s representative denied in People in June last year that the alleged leak that he would return to the franchise for an amount exceeding 300 million was false.
Meanwhile, Pirates of the Caribbean producer Jerry Bruckheimer told The Times, while Johnny was still in a defamation trial with his ex, that he and his team were working on “two [new] scripts for the franchise: one with [Margot Robbie], one without [her].” And as far as Jonny Depp’s involvement was concerned, Bruckheimer stated: “Not at this time [but] the future is yet to be written.”
The Opinions of the Experts: Is Jack Sparrow Coming Back?
Even if many Hollywood experts had certain doubts regarding Depp’s career recovery, the pronouncement of a Disney executive at the time to People was striking, noting:
“After the verdict, I absolutely believe that the Pirates of the Caribbean saga is ready to reboot with Johnny as Captain Jack back on board. There’s too much. There’s still a great and potential treasure trove at the box office waiting for a character so beloved and deeply rooted in Disney culture.”
With Jerry Bruckheimer on the crest of success with Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick, there is a huge appetite to bring back profitable Hollywood stars in massively popular franchises.
This story was written in Spanish by José Lomelí in Cultura Colectiva News